About 95% of the year, Los Angeles affords us with perfect adventure and exploring weather – sun shining bright, a cool ocean breeze every now and then, and a comfortable temperature at around 70 degrees. But, during the other 5% when the sky is gloomy and rain is pounding, most of us (myself included) would rather nix the adventures and stay inside with hot chocolate and Netflix. This winter, though, I’m on a mission to continue my adventures indoors because a little rain shouldn’t stop me from doing what I do best…exploring! I’m excited to share that I am collaborating with the L.A. Tourism Board (@DiscoverLA on Instagram) on their #InsideLA campaign, which includes a “101 Things to Do in L.A. On a Rainy Day” list. I’ll be photographing and sharing a variety of fun experiences with my blog readers and with their 1 million+ social media fans over the next two months. Such a fun and exciting opportunity!
As part of the #InsideLA collaboration with @DiscoverLA, I was able to eat + play games at the fun and cozy GameHäus Café, a hidden gem in Glendale. GameHäus Café stands out among other local cafes who offer board games because they are home to almost NINE HUNDRED board games (TBH, I didn’t even know 900 board games existed). For a $5 cover per person you can play unlimited board games for as long as you’d like, but if you visit the café Tuesdays through Thursday before 4 p.m, it’s a $2 fee. In addition to the games on games on games, you can order yummy and warm comfort food/drink items from the café. Think coffees, teas, sandwiches, paninis, and mini-pizzas. They also serve selection of house-made pies and pastries from their bakery partner Tasteful Cakes. While escaping the rain at GameHäus, you have the choice to just enjoy the food/drink menu and not play games (but I’m not sure why you’d go and not play any games…) OR you can just play games without purchasing food and beverages from the café’s menu.
GameHäus is awesome and unique because their game collection includes the classics (Risk, Scrabble, Monopoly, etc.), party games (Taboo, Cranium, Werewolf, Balderdash), card games, and so so so many random/fun/interesting games of all types. They’re constantly adding new games to their game library and there’s just no way you won’t find a game you + your buddie(s) are interested in. It’d be impossible to play all your favorite games in one day or night, so you can plan on wanting to come back again soon! I’d like to mention, though, that you don’t have to be a total board game geek to love GameHäus Café – it’s the perfect place for gamers of all levels/interests and is a fun off-the-beaten-path activity to do when it’s raining in Los Angeles!
My boyfriend and I visited GameHäus Café on a gloomy weekday evening for date night and ordered (fair warning: we like to grub): the valdora sandwich (fontina cheese, turkey, fresh pears, and honey) with a side salad, margherita pizza, two chocolate covered peanut butter oreos, a cheesecake brownie, and caramel banana cream pie. It was all delicious! We ate our dinner and savored our desserts, all while playing some of our favorite classic board games. Aaand I may or may not still be bitter that I totally got my butt kicked in Battleship. I’ll get you next time, D! Overall, we enjoyed coming here because it was an off-the-beaten-path date night for us, we both love playing board games (although I like them much better when I win, haha), and it was the perfect way to spend a chilly LA evening indoors in a warm and cozy café.
Truly a great #insideLA activity, I’d highly recommend GameHäus Café for your next rainy day date night or fun friend gathering. Click here for the café’s open hours and here to see the café’s food menu. Also, don’t forget that it’s a $5 cover for unlimited games. GameHäus Café is located at 1800 S Brand Blvd #107, Glendale, CA 91204.
With so many great eateries in LA, you could try a new spot each day and it would still take you years & years to try ‘em all!
GET YOUR GRUB ON AT: